Some of the best ChatGPT alternatives in today’s market are Team-GPT, Microsoft Bing, Google Bard, Perplexity.ai, ChatSonic, AskCodi, HuggingChat, Pi AI, Poe, and YouChat.
In this article, I talk about the major reasons why you need ChatGPT alternatives and then go through a wide range of ChatGPT alternatives one by one.
- Why Do You Need a ChatGPT Alternative?
- Reason 1: High Learning Curve to Get Good Answers
- Reason 2: Responses Can Be Repetitive
- Top 10 ChatGPT Alternatives
- #1. Team-GPT
- #2. Microsoft Bing
- #3. Google Bard
- #4. Perplexity.ai
- #5. Chatsonic
- #6. AskCodi
- #7. HuggingChat
- #8. Pi AI
- #9. Poe
- #10. YouChat
- Improve Team Efficiency and Productivity with Team-GPT
Why Do You Need a ChatGPT Alternative?
Reason 1: High Learning Curve to Get Good Answers
One major drawback of ChatGPT is that you must learn how to write good prompts to get accurate results.
Writing and firing generic prompts like – Write a LinkedIn post on social media marketing will give you a very generic answer.
To get a more optimal answer, you must set guard rails and make the prompt more specific, like – Write a LinkedIn post on ‘How to market my SaaS on Social Media.’ Don’t make the post too long; ~200 words. Use simple English to write the post. Add bullets and emojis wherever necessary – ChatGPT does a much better job answering such specific prompts.
Reason 2: Responses Can Be Repetitive
ChatGPT struggles to generate high-quality results, especially when coming up with a long piece of content. You may often find the content redundant – repeated phrases, paraphrased sentences, lack of depth, etc.
So writing a blog post or an academic paper with ChatGPT isn’t a good idea.
Top 10 ChatGPT Alternatives
Here are the 10 ChatGPT alternatives that will help you overcome the drawbacks I just told you about 👇
In plain English, Team-GPT lets you share a ChatGPT account with your teammates. The platform helps you onboard your team on a single ChatGPT account so that you and your team can talk to the AI simultaneously.
- Reduce clutter and organize knowledge: Customize your chats, arrange them in folders and subfolders, and reduce clutter.
- Learn how to use ChatGPT: Learn to use ChatGPT along with your team. Team-GPT offers their trial-and-tested conversation starter to help kick things off. It also has 100+ ready-to-use prompt templates.
- Measure AI adoption rate: Gain invaluable insights into your team’s adoption rate and engagement level with ChatGPT. To keep things competitive, Team-GPT gives you the ranking of top users in your team and more such insights.
Team-GPT has a free plan where you can onboard one team member for free (OpenAI usage costs applicable).
But if you want to onboard more team members, the pricing starts at $20 per month for 10 users and goes all the way up to $200 per month for 100 users.
The platform also offers a 30-day money back guarantee.
#2. Microsoft Bing
Microsoft Bing got an upgrade and now has an AI-powered search engine. The platform is powered by Open AI’s GPT-4 and is now faster, better, and more versatile in its use cases.
💡Pro tip: Use Microsoft Edge to explore the endless capabilities of Bing AI-powered copilot.
Bing AI in action 👇
- New Bing chat has near real-time access to the web, allowing you to browse the web with ChatGPT.
- Switch between the Search and Chat tabs to see traditional and AI results.
- With Bing, you can create and compose blog outlines, emails, paragraphs of text, and more.
- Use Bing Image Creator to generate artificial intelligence images with DALL-E-powered ‘text-to-image’ conversion models from the chat.
Pros and Cons
✅ Good at delivering creative answers or composing things from scratch.
✅ Brownie points for the AI image creator; I loved it.
✅ Unlike ChatGPT, Bing AI cites sources of every answer presented.
❌ Microsoft makes it clear that the AI chatbot can sometimes hallucinate.
❌ To use all the features of Bing AI, you must download Microsoft Edge.
Microsoft Bing AI is a free tool for 1,0000 transactions. But if you want more than 1,000 transactions, it costs you according to instances and transactions per second.
#3. Google Bard
Bard is Google’s answer to ChatGPT. It’s an experimental AI conversational service that’s powered by LAMDA (Language Model for Dialogue Applications).
PS. I liked Bard’s interface better than ChatGPT.
Bard in action 👇
- Uses LAMDA-powered NLP models that are much better at understanding commands in natural language.
- Generates multiple responses for every question asked so you always have options to choose the best.
- Double-check Bard AI’s results by clicking the Google icon at the bottom of each response. Google will link to sources you can visit and rectify the answer.
- Offers extensions to diversify AI capabilities into Google Workspace and other apps; uses Bard to summarize emails, ask for tutorial videos and directions, book hotels, and more.
Pros and Cons
✅ Can extend AI capabilities across Google’s app ecosystem via extensions.
✅ Comes with advanced OCR technology that allows users to get answers from uploaded images.
✅ It supports voice search – automatically converting speech to text and vice versa.
✅ Bard has made fact-checking easy with citations and one-click Google double-check response features.
❌ Comparably slower in generating responses (personal experience).
Google Brad is in its experimental phase; you can ask unlimited questions for free.
Perplexity is an AI-powered search engine that works on real-time data and answers queries like a Google search. Yet, unlike Google, you don’t need to enter keywords or open multiple links to get the perfect answer.
Perplexity.ai in action 👇
- Real-time access to the web allows it to answer any query – from World War I to recent events.
- If you don’t like a response, Perplexity offers three different AI models to rewrite responses — Copilot (default), GPT- 4, and Claude-2.
- Use the Focus feature to limit AI search to a specific source – Academic, Writing, Wolfram (computational intelligence), YouTube, Reddit, or from anywhere online.
- Talk to your documents or image files by uploading them to the platform; ask questions and get answers for everything in the file.
- Get citations and sources linked to every response; predictive AI recommends follow-up prompts to speed up the search.
Pros and Cons
✅ It’s easy to turn a search into a conversation with follow-up prompts.
✅ Gives options to group chat threads into collections and share conversations via links.
✅ API access for open-source LLMs is available (but only with the paid version).
❌ The free version is quite limited.
Perplexity is a free AI search engine. However, the free plan has file upload limits, locked AI models, and other bottlenecks.
It has two plans to choose from:
- Monthly plan: $20 per month. Comes with unlimited file upload and more Copilot uses.
- Yearly plan: $200 per month. Unlocks Claude-2 and GPT-4 to answer questions and gives you API access.
Chatsonic was recommended to me by a colleague who used the parent tool Writesonic to draft articles.
After using the tool, I realized Chatsonic is a powerful AI conversational chatbot that addresses many of the ChatGPT’s limitations.
Chatsonic in action 👇
- Easy integration with Google Search to access the most up-to-date information online.
- Pre-built prompt templates to assist in creating diverse content for ads, marketing, e-commerce, and more.
- It’s easy to generate digital artwork via text-based prompts; describe what you are looking for and get an AI-generated image.
- Chatsonic supports voice commands, so you don’t need to type everything.
- Edit, copy, download, and share specific responses or team conversations with your friends via public links.
Pros and Cons
✅ Chatsonic integrates with Zapier and WordPress.
✅ Has a free Google Chrome extension.
✅ Lets you create custom AI templates or choose from 100+ pre-built templates.
✅ Facilitates text-to-image conversion.
❌ There is a slight delay in generating responses.
❌ Comes as a batch purchase; there is no standalone plan for Chatsonic.
If you want to get answers from ChatGPT-3.5, Chatsonic’s free for 10,000 words per month.
But if you want GPT-4 to answer your prompts, you’d have to unlock the Small Team plan that costs $19 per month for ~17,000 words.
AskCodi isn’t just a chatbot. It’s a lifesaver for coders. Powered by GPT-3.5 and GPT-4, it’s designed as an AI coding assistant, helping developers automate recurring tasks and enhance code performance.
AskCodi in action 👇
- Get instant HTML and CSS code snippets via simple one-liner prompts using Codi’s Quick Answer tool.
- Leverage Codi chat, a comprehensive version of Quick Answer, to collaborate and chat with the chatbot on complex code.
- Lets you translate code snippets from one programming language to another.
- Use the Autocomplete feature to let AI complete unfinished codes for you.
- Has a dedicated interactive workspace, Codi Workbook, where coders can explain, document, and write tests for code.
Pros and Cons
✅ Has a dedicated discord community.
✅ Has a free-to-use plan.
✅ Comes with built-in loyalty programs and gamification to earn AskCodi credits without spending money.
✅ Easy switch between Light and night mode offers a better user experience.
❌ Limited use cases (best suited for coders and developers only).
AskCodi comes with a free forever plan and two paid plans:
- Premium: $9.99 per month per user
- Ultimate: $29.99 per month per user
HuggingChat is a free and open-source alternative to ChatGPT. The platform has almost the same chat interface as ChatGPT.
One thing I think sets HugginChat apart from the rest of the AI chatbots is its humor.
HuggingChat in action 👇
- Talk to AI like a human and get reference-backed answers from the AI.
- Use follow-ups to extend or ask for explanations for previous responses.
- Enable Search Web to compliment AI responses with real-time information from the web.
- Store past conversation histories and edit or reopen them for reference.
- It’s easy to copy-paste one-off responses or share full conversations via public URLs.
Pros and Cons
✅ Free and open-source AI chatbot.
✅ Delivers responses with linked sources, improving factual accuracy.
✅ Offers light and dark modes for seamless user experience.
❌ You can’t upload files for analysis.
HuggingChat is a free-to-use ChatGPT alternative.
#8. Pi AI
Pi is more like a friendly assistant with whom you can discuss habits and hobbies other than professional talk. The same is reflected through its interface – clean and modern with minimalistic features.
Pi in action 👇
- Like other AI chatbots, Pi is also trained on LLMs (large language models) and answers queries quickly.
- It can surf the internet and provide real-time information on the latest trending news and topics.
- Has a built-in AI-powered voice assistant that can read the responses aloud in 6 different voices.
- Achieve personal growth with Pi’s pre-set conversational AI models trained for talks like meditation, brainstorming, relationship advice, career plans, philosophy, and more.
Pros and Cons
✅ Has an easy-to-use interface.
✅ Easily share individual or multiple responses via shareable links.
✅ Has pre-trained conversational AI models to help with self-improvement.
❌ It has no options to upload files.
❌ You must create an account to see and save conversation history.
Pi Ai is a free-to-use tool for now. However, it has just launched the first version, so I don’t know if it will remain free over time.
Poe, short for Platform for Open Exploration (Poe), is a chatbot launched by Quora.
The platform hosts over 20+ AI tools developed by different companies. The ability to select between different chatbots makes Quora’s Poe a powerful and a must-try tool.
Poe in action 👇
- Has a personal AI chatbot, Sage, a conversational AI model to assist in programming-related tasks and non-English languages.
- Comes with a web-search AI chatbot capable of crawling the internet and providing up-to-date and factual responses.
- Supports voice-enabled commands, so you’ve to write less.
- Get access to powerful AI assistants like ChatGPT-4, Claude, and Google-PaLM.
- Use AI image generator tools like AnimeXL and Stable Diffusion XL to convert text-based prompts into high-quality images within seconds.
Pros and Cons
✅ You’ll get a range of powerful AI tools under one roof.
✅ Has a free version built upon ChatGPT-3.5.
✅ Supports voice-based search and file attachments.
✅ Dedicated apps for iOS, Android, and macOS.
❌ Has a learning curve for first-time AI chatbot users.
❌ The free version has limited access to premium tools like ChatGPT-4.
Poe is free to get started. However, some AI tools like GPT-4 and Claude-2-100k are available in limited capacity. To go full throttle, you can subscribe to Poe for $20 per month.
👀 Note: You can only use the paid plan of Poe via your mobile phones.
YouChat is a GPT-4 powered search engine that lets you search the web and get answers in a conversational manner.
For instance, I asked YouChat to fill me in with Israel and Hamas war news, and it was quick to respond with recent article links from global News publications and gave me an AI-generated summary for my query.
YouChat in action 👇
- Get customized search results with detailed responses accompanied by proper citations and sources.
- Comes with an AI writing assistant to draft blog posts, emails, social media posts, and more.
- Use cutting-edge AI image generators to create AI images from text-based descriptions.
- Easily save and share conversations and use shareable links to share transcripts with others.
Pros and Cons
✅ The YouChat search engine is fast, real-time, and accurate with responses.
✅ Comes with a Google Chrome extension that’s free to install and use.
✅ You can use it as an AI chatbot on WhatsApp.
❌ The free version is slow to load results.
YouChat is a free forever tool if used in a limited capacity. To unlock its premium version, upgrade to YouPro for $14.99/month.
👀 Note: If you’re a school student, get the YouPro for Education plan at $6.99 per month.
Improve Team Efficiency and Productivity with Team-GPT
AI-powered tools are quickly evolving, and almost every person with a laptop or smartphone knows what ChatGPT is.
Although ChatGPT is a great tool and does many things right, there are some things it needs to improve.
Till the time it improves, use the ChatGPT alternatives mentioned in this article.
But if you want to use AI efficiently and make it a part of your team, I’d suggest you try out Team-GPT for free. Onboard your team on a single ChatGPT account and make it a part of your business.
About the author
I teach data science and AI to 1.2M students on Udemy. I'm co-founder of 365 Data Science, 3veta, and Team-GPT. My work is mostly focused on helping people and organizations adopt AI.